A clean home is a safe home. We tend to keep the floors, cupboards, kitchen sink, basins clean but often overlook windows cleaning. Do you know vertical blinds also need regular cleaning? To help you understand, we have listed reasons for cleaning vertical blinds at regular intervals.
Dust in the air settles down on the surfaces of blinds. You know the air particles also carry allergens and pollens that even stick to the blinds. If you do not clean them regularly, the cycle of the sun’s heat and moisture makes them breeding ground for germs. This can lead to several allergy symptoms. Cleaning vertical blinds regularly will help alleviate these allergies problems.
Keep the Looks Intact
When dust accumulates on blinds, they start looking dull. It affects the overall look of the room. If moulds are formed on the blinds, it can lead to black spots or discolouration of the blinds at specific places that can make it look unpleasant. If you want to maintain the looks of the blinds, clean them regularly.
How to Clean Vertical Blinds?
Cleaning blinds is easy. Experts suggest you do it every week to keep them spic and clean. There are different ways to clean vertical blinds. You can follow any cleaning method that seems appropriate.
Method One – Duster/Vacuum Cleaner
You need items like a heavy duster and a vacuum cleaner for cleaning vertical blinds effectively.
- Take the duster and start cleaning the blinds from the top and move towards the bottom—clean both sides of vertical blinds.
- After you are done cleaning with the duster, use a vacuum cleaner.
- Attach the upholstery cleaning brush to the vacuum cleaner and clean each blind from top to bottom.
This is the easiest method to keep the blinds clean, and you don’t need to detach them from rails.
Method Two – Cleaning Solution
If the first method does not give your clean blinds, you can follow this method. You need to prepare a cleaning solution at home or buy a commercial cleaner from the market. Here are the steps to prepare a cleaning solution at home:
- Take some detergent and mix it in a bowl of water.
- Take a microfiber cloth and dip it in solution. Wring the cloth .
- Spray the cleaning solution on each blind and rub it with the cloth to eliminate stubborn dirt. Don’t rub too hard as it might damage the delicate fabric of the blinds.
- Take another microfiber cloth and clean water in a bowl. Dip the microfiber cloth in water.
- Wipe each blind with cloth from top to bottom.
- Leave the blinds to dry naturally.
Method 3 – Washing Machine
You can also clean the blinds in the washing machine if the washing instructions permit. Read the washing instructions carefully, else you will damage the blinds and render them unusable. If the washing instructions allow machine wash, follow the steps below.
- Remove the blinds from the railsand fold them in half. Make sure the edges are aligned after folding.
- Take a pillow cover and place the folded blinds in it.
- Place the pillowcase inside the washing machine.
- Do not use hot water for the wash. Warm water works fine to remove stubborn dirt on blinds.
- Set the machine for a gentle wash cycle.
- Wait for the wash cycle to get over. If you are using an automatic washing machine, skip the last spin cycle.
- Remove the pillow cover and take out the window blinds carefully.
- Allow the blinds to air dry. You can hang them with a towel.
Thus you can see cleaning blinds is not difficult. You don’t need any special tools to clean them. Keeping them clean will improve the overall hygiene and beauty of the room where they are installed.