Outdoor rugs are a great way to spruce up your outdoor living space and add style to your patio or deck. They can range from simple and minimalistic to highly intricate and colorful. But with so many options, it can take a lot of work to know where to start when selecting the perfect outdoor rug for your home.
This blog post will cover everything you need about outdoor rugs, including the various materials available, how to measure for a rug, tips for cleaning and maintaining an outdoor rug, and more. Read on to find out how to create an inviting outdoor oasis with the right rug!
The Different Types of Outdoor Rugs
There are many outdoor rugs on the market, from synthetic to natural fibers. Synthetic outdoor rugs are usually made from polypropylene or polyester and are designed to withstand moisture and fading. Natural fiber outdoor rugs are made from materials like wool, sisal, and jute and are best for areas that only get a little foot traffic.
Here is a breakdown of some of the most popular types of outdoor rugs:
- Polypropylene Outdoor Rugs: Polypropylene outdoor rugs are made from a synthetic fiber resistant to moisture, staining, and fading. They are popular for high-traffic areas or areas exposed to the elements. Polypropylene outdoor rugs come in various colors and patterns, making them a versatile option for any space.
- Polyester Outdoor Rugs: Polyester outdoor rugs are also made from synthetic fiber, but they are less durable than polypropylene. Polyester outdoor rugs can be susceptible to staining and fading, best used in low-traffic areas or covered patios. Polyester outdoor rugs come in various colors and patterns, making them a good choice for adding a pop of color to any space.
- Wool Outdoor Rugs: Wool outdoor rugs are made from natural fibers, making them more expensive than synthetic ones.
The Benefits of Outdoor Rugs
They have many benefits that make them a great addition to any home. Outdoor rugs are also a great way to add style and comfort to your outdoor space. Here are some of the top benefits of outdoor rugs:
- Outdoor rugs add color and pattern: Outdoor rugs can help to add color and pattern to your outdoor space, which can make it more inviting and stylish. If you have a bland patio or deck, an outdoor rug can really help to liven it up.
- Outdoor rugs define the space: An outdoor rug can help to define the boundaries of your outdoor space. This is especially helpful if you have a large patio or deck that you want to break up into different areas. An outdoor rug can delineate the seating area from the dining area, for example.
- Outdoor rugs protect your deck or patio: An outdoor rug will protect your deck or patio from dirt, spills, and wear and tear. This is especially important if you have expensive decking or patio furniture.
- Outdoor rugs make your space more comfortable: An outdoor rug will make your space more comfortable by softening the hard surface of your deck or patio. This is perfect for bare feet or for sitting on the ground.
- Outdoor rugs are easy to clean: Unlike carpets, outdoor rugs are easy to clean because they can be hosed down or even taken outside and beaten with a broom.
How to Choose the Perfect Outdoor Rug
When choosing an outdoor rug, there are a few things to remember.
- First, consider the material. Outdoor rugs are typically made from synthetic materials that can withstand elements, like polypropylene or nylon. However, natural fibers like wool or jute can also be used outdoors if they’re treated with a water-repellent finish.
- Next, think about the pile. Low-pile rugs are easier to clean and maintain, but high-pile rugs are more comfortable underfoot. If you have pets or small children, opt for a low-pile option to avoid snagging.
- Finally, consider the rug’s size and the area you’re trying to cover. An outdoor rug should be large enough to anchor the furniture in your space but not so large that it looks disproportionate. When in doubt, err on the side of too big—you can always trim down a larger rug to fit your space perfectly.
The Best Ideas to Buy Outdoor Rugs
There are a few things to remember when shopping for outdoor rugs.
- First, consider the material. Outdoor rugs are made from materials including polypropylene, nylon, and wool. Polypropylene is the most affordable option but also the least durable. Nylon is more expensive but also more resistant to mold and mildew. Wool is the most costly option but also the most durable and can withstand heavy foot traffic.
- Outdoor rugs come in various sizes, so it’s important to measure the area where you want to place the rug before you shop. You’ll also want to consider the shape of the rug when choosing a size. Rectangular rugs are best for large spaces, while smaller round or square ones are better suited for smaller areas.
- Finally, consider the rug’s color and pattern when making your selection. Outdoor rugs are available in many colors and patterns, so you should be able to find one that complements your outdoor furniture and decor. Patterned rugs can add visual interest to a space, while solid-colored rugs can create a serene and relaxing atmosphere. The same criteria can be applied for the runner rugs of various types.
Outfitting your outdoor space with the perfect rug is a great way to ensure that you make the most of your outdoor area. Whether for gatherings, relaxation, or just adding a touch of style to an otherwise drab patio, an outdoor rug can do wonders for any deck or backyard. With this guide in hand, you now have all the information you need to make sure you purchase the right rug for your needs and get the most out of your investment.